- a citizen of India, absent from the country owing to employment, education etc, has not acquired citizenship of any other country and are otherwise eligible to be registered as a voter in the address mentioned in your passport.
You can enroll as an NRI Voter or overseas elector if you are
How to enrol as an NRI Voter
- Find out the name of your Constituency and Part in the district/state of residence. Know your BLO and Polling Station
- Addresses of the EROs are available here. ERO Addresses
Fill Enrolment Form
- Fill Form 6A online at www.nvsp.in and upload the requisite proofs. Download
- Alternatively download Form 6A from ECI website www.eci.nic.in. Fill Form 6A in 2 copies. Forms are also available free of cost in Indian Missions.
- Documents required
- One recent passport size coloured photograph affixed in Form 6A.
- Self attested photocopies of the relevant pages of the passport containing photograph, address in India and all other
- The page of passport containing the valid visa endorsement
- Form can be submitted in person or by post
- If the application is sent by post, the photo copy of each of the documents referred to above, should be duly self attested.
- Alternatively you can fill the form in person at the Electoral Registration Officer / Assistant ERO of the constituency. If application submitted in person before the ERO, the original passport should be produced for verification
- What Happens after the form Submission: the Verification process
- Booth Level Officer will visit the home address mentioned in your passport and enquire to verify the copies of documents
- In cases where no relative is available or willing to give declaration for verification of documents, the documents will be sent for verification to the concerned Indian Mission
- Decision of the ERO will be communicated to you by post on the address and SMS on the mobile number given in Form 6A. Electoral rolls are also on the website of the Chief Electoral Officer
- Name of overseas elector is included in a separate section for “Overseas Electors” which is the last section of the roll of each polling station area
- You can use Form-8 for making any correction in electoral roll Download
How to Vote
- An overseas elector is not issued an EPIC & you will be allowed to vote in person at the polling station on production of your original passport.
- However, e- postal ballots shall soon be provided to NRI Voters.
Points to remember
- No person can be enrolled on more than one electoral roll i.e. when you enrol as a overseas voter you have to submit a declaration - that you did not get enrolled as a general elector
- If you are registered as a general voter, you should surrender your EPIC alongwith submission of Form 6A
- When you return to India you can register as general elector at your place of ordinary residence
- Please remember that you have only one vote. Accordingly you should not vote for more than one candidate