An Action Plan for TNLA 2016
In Tamil Nadu, a special campaign for PwDs was organised. Following initiatives were taken.
- Preparation and collection of polling station wise differently-abled people details. The details include the EPIC card number, the type of disability, the kind of assistance required during and before the polling day and telephone number
- Use of a dedicated phone number coupled with 1950 to facilitate on call enrolment.
- Indication of differently-abled voters in the electoral roll
- Braille enabled voter slips
- Volunteers to be deployed to facilitate enrolment in orphanages and homes
Activities conducted during Awareness phase
- Preparation of volunteers tagging software called as “Enable Pondy by Young Pondy” to offer a basket of services to the differently-abled people by the volunteers including college students, Red Cross Members and NGOs.
- Conduct of cultural programmes (constituency-wise) in a phase manner to increase the morale and awareness level of the differently-abled voters.
- Conduct of Differently abled Voters Day
- Awareness messages in the form of posters and stickers to be Braille enabled.
- Video awareness messages shall be prepared with sign language interpretation.
- Motivational SMS to all the differently-abled voters every week.
Constitution of differently-abled activist groups to act as volunteers to monitor the implementation of initiatives at the Polling Station level.
- Confidence Building Measures (CBM) by distributing awareness material through volunteers.
Polling Day Arrangements:
- Provision of permanent sturdy ramp with handrails ( 3” width, gradient of 1:12 to 1:10) , Wheelchair, Wide non-slippery path.
- Separate queue for senior citizens and differently abled people, seating arrangements inside the Polling Station.
- Ensuring 3 feet wide doorways at the entry and exit points, providing adequate space inside the Poll Station.
- Desk and counters at wheel chair accessible height
- Ballot sheet and EVMs should be in Braille
- Braille Enabled Voters Slips
- The table where the EVMs placed shall be of adjustable height
- To provide amplifiers for hearing impaired, sign language Interpreters and trained volunteers on the Poll Day
- Drinking water facility at accessible height
Easily accessible rest rooms, Thank You cards
Sensitisation of BLOs and all election facilities on the importance and sensitivity of addressing the needs of the differently-abled voters was initiated. Website of the Election Department was linked with that of the Social Welfare Department to facilitate data sharing.
Edited by Administrator