About This File
Kodagu district is the smallest district in Karnataka state. The name is derived from Kodimalenad, which means dense forest land on steep hills. Muddu Raja, who ruled over
Kodagu between 1633 and 1687 , at first had his capital at Haleri and later shifted the seat of government to Madikeri, the which town he founded and named after himself as Mudduraja Keri. Madikeri now continued to be the district headquarters of Kodagu district. In 1947 when India got Independence Kodagu was considered as ‘C’ State. Then in the year 1956, Kodagu was merged to Mysore state. This district was called as Coorg during British administration and in the year 1977 it was renamed as Kodagu.